Sunday, May 6, 2012

Seis de Mayo

Three days in a row and I am feeling worn out.  I think that a day off might be something for tomorrow, regroup and then back to work/painting.

I am reading a book by Emile Gruppe.  I am reading his book and looking at his paintings online, then at night I dream about painting.  This is called being saturated with painting.  It is a wonderful feeling until I get worn out and need a break.  He has three books that I am intent on reading.  The books have photo's of his paintings, however, the photos are in black and white, it is after all an old book.  I can simply go online and find the painting in color.  He paintied a mountain in Vermont many, many times.  I googled Mt. Mansfield and found hit after hit.  All of the same mountain only different times of year and various compositions.  He explains in his book how in one painting he is emphasizing the mountain and in another the trees which creates a screen with the mountain as a backdrop.  I think this is important.  I like to go back to my favorite places, but I also want to paint a different painting than before, but from the same spot.  In this book I have realized how to go about this.  A change in what is emphasized!

3 comments:

Donna T said...

It looks like you are having fun with your oil paints, Donna. Painting several variations from one location is a good idea. Some days certain aspects of a scene grab you more than others so it makes sense to learn how to communicate that to a viewer. Let us know how it goes!

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Hi Donna. I keep thinking painting in oil will help me with Pastel. There are things going on in my head that makes me think this is true. More painterly approach is what I hope for. Thank you for the nice comments as we go.

Ida M. Glazier said...

What a great place to paint from, look at the atmosphere on that mt!! Your work is always so great with the color, and you really do "See"! I am feeling a bit beat this PM myself and even sunburned!! So I will skip a day also, take care!