Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Summer Memories

It has been awhile between paintings. As a painter the radical change from summer to winter always causes me pause. Then, surprisingly after a period of time, the idea of painting becomes easy and compelling and ideas start to flow. Take the following link for an excellent blog on this very subject..... http://blog.stevenpressfield.com/2009/12/writing-wednesdays-21-sticking-points/

In addition to the summer/winter pause, we had a big wind storm which wiped out one of our pine trees. This particular tree was over 80 feet tall and over 120 years old (I counted). After the wind storm part of the tree was still standing and needed to come down. So my efforts went into finding guys to cut down the remaining tree and cut and clean up the mess. I called Columbia Tree Service out of Hood River. These guys were professionals and brought the tree down between two houses without any problem. I wish painting was that easy. Needless to say having multiple chains saws buzzing, trees falling, and a big machine grinding everything into bits and pieces, was not conducive to painting, but it was amazingly fun! I baked the guys cookies.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year.

I already have another painting started ……



4 comments:

Donna T said...

Very nice painting, Donna! Wow, thank goodness that tree didn't come down on your house. Thanks for the link to the blog - I need to read it again and take notes! Merry Christmas!

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Thank you Donna and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Adriana Meiss said...

Hi Donna, First of all, what a beautiful painting! Thank you for the link, I guess my main sticky point is fear, to fight it I'm reorganizing my studio. Anyway, wish you and your family a happy new year.

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Hi Adriana, thank you. I love reading these philosophical articles about being an artist. It keeps me going during those tough times. Hope this finds you finished with the studio and back painting.......