Friday, May 15, 2009

An Old View and New Thoughts

Here is one of my favorite places to paint on a good calm day. If the wind is blowing I would not be able to stand up let alone paint here. The wind blows at a very brisk pace through the Gorge, almost constantly.

This morning I read a Robert Genn letter and was so taken with his words that I decided to go out and give his exercise a try. Read the last paragraph in this letter and you will see. It was great. I painted rather rapidly and now am happy with the results.

http://clicks.robertgenn.com/wise-juror.php



Also, below is a quote from a book titled "The Discovery of Slowness by Sten Nadolny"

“I’ve been painting the wrong pictures. This won’t do anymore! One has to paint differently," Westcall said in a low voice, with a furrowed forehead. “All I’ve done is describe everything in exact detail—forms of the earth, plant growth, human figures, exactly as in nature—to be recognized.”

“But that’s good, isn’t it?” John remarked.

“No, it’s deceptive. We don’t see the world as a botanist who is at the same time an architect, a physician, a geologist, and a shop’s captain. Recognizing isn’t at all like seeing; the two often don’t even agree, and it’s sometimes a less effective way of determining what is. A painter shouldn’t know’ he should only see.”

4 comments:

Donna T said...

I can hardly believe how dark and intense the blues are out there, Donna. I look forward to seeing your painting of that gorgeous view. I read that paragraph and will try to leave my strokes alone - but it's hard! I see you're a lefty too!

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Hi Donna T! Thank you and I will post the completed painting soon. It really is almost complete from the outing but needs a little work here and there. The part that really got me in the paragraph was the following: "Slow your breathing, review in your mind's eye your vision, glance at the clock and fixate on the work at hand for an hour". Well, for me it was more like five minutes, but hopefully I will extend that time, I am a very impatient person.

Celeste Bergin said...

a painter shouldn't know he should only see. hmmmmm I like that. Thanks for sharing the exercise. I always enjoy how thoughtful you are about all your paintings. How considered your work is. You don't waste strokes and you don't goof around. This I like! Beautiful results.

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Thank you Celeste. As I was out here painting and moved down to the grasses and flowers, I started out thinking that it was grass and I was not enthused about painting grass. I thought about stopping and finish at home. But then I thought "this is not grass, this is green stuff". And when that thought came to me I started to enjoy putting different green stuff here and there and it started to become fun, and I even did a little dance when the different stuff and things started to look like, well grass!