Wednesday, January 14, 2009

January Thaw and "Inhaling the Environment"




Two weeks ago I decided to brave the snow and cold and go out plein air painting. I painted for one hour. The little "study" turned out well, even with only one hour at work. I used the study and a photo as reference and painted this studio painting.

I have read numerous discussions on the value of plein air painting. Robert Genn recently wrote about the subject and describes painting outside as "inhaling the environment". Here is a link to his article: http://clicks.robertgenn.com/frequent-pause-system.php

4 comments:

Donna T said...

Beautiful winter painting, Donna. The water looks cold and the air feels frosty. I especially like the color you have given to the brushy bushes - that hint of warmth is comforting.

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Thank you Donna T. I have moved on to warm summer scenes for now. Hope to include the new paintings soon.

Adriana Meiss said...

Hi Donna, I've been waiting to see this one posted; I remember it in the photo of you last plein air setup.
It's beautiful! Those reddish bushes are just incredible!
I'm having fun painting winter. I wouldn't have thought that was possible!

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Thank you Adriana. It took painting plein air for me to see the many colors in the red bushes. Some warmer some cooler. In the plein air painting I was not so happy with my composition and fixed the problem with the studio painting. Hope this finds you busy painting winter!