Sunday, April 15, 2012

Motive Power


When we go out on a hike I am always ready to either paint or take photo's.  The camera is with me wherever we go.  Every year we go out to Catherine Creek State Park.  We are above the Columbia River with a highway and Railroad far below us.  I love the trains that come through with all of that motive power.  So imagine my surprise when an advertisement appeared on the TV that was filmed from this very spot.  The train in my photo shown below, just came through a tunnel featured in the advertisement.  They shot the ad from down along the river and we are up above all that.  Click below to see the ad, and below that my photo's of BNSF:



My love of trains goes back to when I was very little and we had this train track along the back of my parents property.  That train was a part of the fabric of our lives.  We waved to the train and put pennies on the track.  I learned balance by walking on the rails.  It was our highway wherever we wanted to go.  At night a train would go by and was somehow a comfort.  So it is no surprise I stop and enjoy the motive power of trains, that deep rumble that shakes you down to your very core.  The act of moving goods from one location to another is a part of life that we take for granted.  Of course I like solitude and the perfect beauty of nature and that is readily available.  But we need those goods, maybe they are carrying art supplies and camera's, who knows!


2 comments:

Donna T said...

I am always in awe of trains, Donna, and understand your connection with them. That's a nice view you painted!

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Thank you Donna. You will see in my next post that I reworked a few.