Monday, June 15, 2009

Art Fest 09 and Every Girl Should Have a Horse!

Saturday I participated in an Art Fest in Yakima Washington. The weather was interesting with huge thunderheads surrounding us most of the day. We never did get rain and the event was a huge success for me. I sold paintings and visited with art enthusiasts from all over.

I was very pleasantly surprised by a visit from my long lost cousins. I sent out annoucements and included them. What a wonderful surprise to have them pop in. Fern works with her husband on their land, a huge orchard of cherries, apricots, apples and more. Pam works with her husband on their cattle ranch. I did something different and became a painter with the great support of my husband.

As young girls, my cousins and I spent our summers on horseback traveling through the land, from the high alpine mountains, down through sage brush country and along the Columbia River. Sometimes we moved cattle and also earned some money picking cherries.

We were courageous on horses and could travel anywhere we pleased. This was the influence that led me to love the landscape and as young girls, a horse allows freedom to get around gracefully, courageously and empowered!
Every girl should have a horse!

7 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

Well, that sure was a fun post to read! Is that you on the right? Congratulations on what looks like a fun "art fest" and having cousins attend!

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Thank you Celeste! It was fun to write. Yes, that is me on the right on my wonderful horse Cricket.

Donna T said...

I'm so glad your Art Fest was a success Donna - good weather and good sales! Your paintings look beautiful on display like that. Cricket must have been a very good friend. I can picture you out having adventures with him.

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Thank you Donna! It was a grand day. This blog makes for interesting threads in life that can be pulled together. From adventures riding horses to later in life painting landscapes. I can see the connection now and it is pleasing. Books with the intent of helping you find your authentic style, or creative power, often as an excercise have you go back and see the influences in your youth. This was my influence, the horse, and the cousins.

Adriana Meiss said...

Hi Donna, It's good to hear that the art fest turned out well for you.
Your musings are always interesting to read. No horse for me, but I still remember many of the places I went to, some of them forbidden, with my friend's bike. I was wearing braces then so a bike of my own was out of the question :-(
BTW,love your painting of Basalt at Koberg beach!
We miss you at WC!

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna! I love your blog, your web-site and your art! I have been into Washington just once and loved it. I grew up horseback, and remained that way---always knew art would return to my life but didn't realize all that time in the landscapes on a horse would end up being my reason for trying to capture my world. I am not sure if I put that right, but I would be horseback at all times of the day, into the night, and early morning again--for 40 years, and still am. so I saw a lot of "light". Light hitting things, light reaching inside of you, or ontop of you and how that felt, or oh the hip of a horse, or tree, or water, you know what I mean. Your paintings express a lot of what I have seen on the mountains, trees, clouds--or ground!!! Alas, tho I am having so much trouble with my plein-air efforts!!! You inspire me so I kept trying. Thanks!!

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Thank you Adriana, and yes a bike is just as good for getting that freedom to travel through the land.

Anonymous, I am overwhelmed by your wonderful comment. Thank you so much for this. I think you express very well what it is to be on a horse and looking out at the world. The horse gives you freedom to see as you sit high off the ground and look out at the light.