Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Spring Meadow and my opinions


This blog is for art, about art, and not a place for opinion. However, I am frustrated about this beautiful spot near my home. A meadow full of wild flowers and natural grasses that grows along the Little Klickitat River. I love walking along the river and through these grasses and flowers.

Suddenly this spot was declared a park and out came the mower and every year the park people very carefully mow down all these grasses. Each year I suffer. Why, oh why, do they mow? I am guessing that people think these are weeds and they are trying to create a park like place. Also in August these grasses turn golden and the flowers dry and it might be seen as a fire hazard, but still I suffer. As a painter I like natural beauty.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful painting! It is a shame that that they mow down that beautiful grass and wildflowers!

Donna T said...

Donna, these look like they could be the same stand of trees as your "Late Summer Early Light". Beautiful! It is too bad that these "weeds" have to be cut down. Why can't they just cut a path through? People could still walk tick-free through there and admire the grasses and wildflowers at the same time. I'm just glad there's someone like you who appreciates natural areas for the beauty that so often gets overlooked.

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Thank you Joni and Donna T. It felt good to express my dismay. The natural world is such a beautiful thing and I am learning to see.