Sunday, December 14, 2008

Deep Woods - 9" x 12"




On an outing last January, we traveled to this wildlife preserve with the clear intent of finding a grove of aspens in snow. This road stopped us from going any further in the car and so I set out in snowshoes. I traveled down this road for about two miles when I decided to abort one idea and try another and here is the happy result. When I set out with an idea, I find it difficult to switch, and this I know is a weakness. One must be in the moment and deal with oportunities before us and not have our own mind rule the day. This is true in art and in life.


Below is a quote from a movie called "Any Given Sunday." This speech by Al Pacino is called "Inches."




You know when you get old in life things get taken from you. That's, that's part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out that life is just a game of inches. So is football. Because in either game, life, or football, the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half step too late or to early you don't quite make it. One half second too slow or too fast, and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They are in ever break of the game, every minute, every second.

3 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

Two scenes...one of snow and another of Al Pacino! This is what I I love about your blog...how you can marry the imagery and the words. Both so thoughtful and considered.

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Hi Celeste, I have been waiting for just the right moment to include part of the Inches Speech. He also says:

I'll tell you this in any fight it is the guy who is willing to die who is going to win that inch. And I know if I am going to have any life anymore it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch, because that is what LIVING is. The six inches in front of your face.

Casey Klahn said...

Somehow I found your blog - I think via the Plein Air Comp @ Hood River. I almost went, but circumstances prevented it.

Anyway, glad to meet you, a fellow eastern WA pastelist. I know Sheila Evans and Jennifer Evenhus, and I think that's it for our side of the state. I know several Western WA pastelists, too.

Your blog is great, and I am a fan of these mountain scenes!