Monday, October 13, 2008

Waves of Gold


I am wainting for the Aspen trees to change color. We drove to this Aspen grove on Saturday expecting to see waves of gold everywhere, and found only a few trees that have started to turn.

I painted outside or Plein Air. Below is an excerpt from a letter by Van Gogh to his protege. I think this is a great example of an artist mind, and how she would describe the artist mind at work. He describes things by color, tint, and brush strokes, amazing!

I follow no system of brushwork at all, I hit the canvas with irregular strokes, which I leave as they are, impastos, uncovered spots of canvas--corners hear and there left inevitably unfinished--reworking, roughnesses....

Here's a sketch, by the way, the entrance to a Provencal orchard with its yellow reed fences, with its shelter (agains the mistral), black cypresses, with it typical vegetables of various greens, yellow lettuces, onions and garlic and emerald leeks.

While always working directly on the spot, I try to capture the essence in the drawing--then I fill the spaces demarcated by the outlines (expressed or not) but felt in every case, likewise with the simplified tints, in the sense that everything that will be earth will share the same purplish tint, that the whole sky will have a blue tonality, that the greenery will either be blue greens or yellow greens, deliberately exaggerating the yellow or blue values in that case.....

--handshake in thought, your friend Vincent.


4 comments:

Donna T said...

Really nice, Donna! The golden leaves look so wonderful with the purples of the mountains behind. Are you starting on a white surface or the toned (Belgian Mist)? I hope to attempt a fall painting soon and this time I'll try not to let those bright colors take over!

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Hi Donna T! Good to hear from you. I used Belgian Mist with one of those tonal pastel under paintings. Fall is just getting started. I am so excited!

Anonymous said...

Donna, it is so enjoyable, educative, and informative to see your PAs together with a photo of the spot. I learn so much about finding interesting views. Some spots look, well, bland, but the paintings you do of them are gorgeous!

Charlie

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Hi Charlie. Thank you for your comments. Yes, working plein air (PA) teaches me to paint what I feel, rather simply copy nature. Painting from a photo tends to teach me to copy. While in nature you are surrounded by things, sounds, scents, and movement, the influences I am not able to experience from a photo. Then taking that experience back to the studio is the goal.